Friday, April 13, 2007

Rehab.

Unfortunately, I have had to deal with addiction in my life. A loved one of mine has been in rehab numerous times and it's been very draining emotionally and physically.

The first time that this happened I didn't know how to respond and the best thing I knew to do when I got the call was to ignore what was going on. I was just starting as a business professional and not only did I financially not have the money to support someone going into rehab but mentally I felt that I just couldn't do it.

My loved one was discharged after being in the program for a few months and was fine for a while. He was drug tested every week and remained clean.

Or so we thought.

Then we went to visit when Graem was just a few months old and realized that something was not right. Not only was he not acting like himself but he was acting different, defensive, and manic. When we questioned him he denied using.

At that point we had an intervention and was guided by a social worker on how to make him admit to his addiction and seek help. Without this social worker we wouldn't have known how to go about finding a drug rehab so that he could get clean.

After we approached him with the social worker he still denied useage and the social worker insisted that he get tested at the rehab in Pennsylvania. (Where he had been before.) That night, we drove from Albany, to NYC, to Scranton to admit my loved one.

It was really so much to take in ... not only was I trying to find the best thing for him...but mentally I was also trying to take care of my family too. Toting a 6 month old baby around New York state is not very easy!

Stone Hawk offers a great drug treatment program that is based on the Narconon program. All of the people that work there have also been part of the program so it means that they understand where you're coming from and your daily struggles.

Check out Stone Hawk's website where you can sign up for information, contact them via the web, or even call their 1-800 number. The best part -- they are there for you 24/7.

They understand addiction doesn't take the weekend and holidays off.

No comments: